Wednesday 3 February 2016

Consistency...

"Everything depends on your mental attitude" ~ Sri Dharma Mittra

Experiencing any loss can take a lot out of anyone, mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.
How each of us cope may be different.  How each of us grieve is different.  I found the days after arriving back in Vermont feeling empty, emotionally exhausted and mentally drained.    I got back to work soon after that and also realized that I had let my daily yoga practice slip, probably at the time I needed it the most.  I had come to peace with letting go and accepting death for what it is.  Its not the end.  My father's life will be remembered, he will be missed at card games, the memory of him will still be alive for years to come.

Finding myself back on the mat, still processing, realizing that even one week/10days away from the mat can almost reverse all my hard work.  Another reminder that CONSTANT practice is best!
Consistency should also exist in dietary habits.  Too much of one thing is not good, not enough of another etc, etc and so on.  Balance in flavors and a consistently fresh diet works the best for me.
The holidays were over, of course I indulged a little, maybe even a LOT!  I guess signing up for Dharma's Classes for the day after Christmas was not such a good idea after all.  I was stuffed, had some alcohol, sweets,  heavy foods and decided, maybe this was not a good time to go to class or maybe it was the BEST time, I'll never know, I decided to stay in Brooklyn.

Watching Dharma's DVD's over the years he often says "this is a basic pose, it prepares the body for the more advanced poses."  For years I had watched this DVD and heard him say this over and over.  It wasn't until earlier this year that it finally sunk in!  You need to "BE PATIENT with yourself" is what I kept hearing in my mind, but all I wanted to do was Full lotus, headstand, scorpion and all those beautiful poses you see on Instagram, often frustrated when I was unable to do them. Really?! you expected to get into those poses without working for them?! What I've learned is you really need to be PATIENT, Be CONSISTENT, and most of all Honor your own progress and journey.  I found when I relaxed into the pose and understood that nobody gets there overnight, I began to enjoy yoga with a new understanding.   I began to have a new respect for practice, for diligence and for patience (something I'm still working on).  Like Dharma says above, "Everything depends on your mental attitude" believe me, it does!  

No comments:

Post a Comment