Friday 22 January 2016

Honestly Yoga...


It's September 2015 and my decision to try Honest Yoga here in Vermont,  was one made with the intention of preparing myself for Dharma Yoga Teacher training.   I attended my first class not knowing what to expect.  It was a relatively warm September here in VT and I was unaware that this class was a heated class until I was in the room.  I'm thinking to myself "hmm, I'm just going to melt to pieces here" and "had I known this was a hot yoga class, I probably would have stayed at home" these were thoughts in my head as I lay on my mat waiting for class to begin.   What happened in the next hour was exactly what I was looking for!  Danielle, who was trained by Dharma, lead the class through a series of poses, queuing clear directions to transition us to the next pose with breath and most of all intention.  She reminded us throughout the class to "let go of something" in the pose.  Let go of something? I felt like I wanted to let go of everything! Tension, emotions, thoughts, anger, fear, you name it, it was all coming up on that mat that day.  Did I let go of something? YES!  Did I gain a better awareness of "who" I am and who I needed to be? YES! Was it because Danielle's ques or clear communication of how to get into the pose allowed me to go deeper? Was it the music? or was it the fact I was actually on a mat, in a hot yoga class, and enjoying every single minute of it? YES to all!
When I walked out of the class in a daze, processing what just happened in there.  Danielle let me know that there was a new student deal of $50month unlimited (vs. $18per class). Pretty sweet deal! So I got the unlimited monthly deal and thought to myself, "self, if you just go to three classes, it pretty much pays for itself."  I had to go sit in my car for about 10min before I was able to drive home that day, release of toxins flooding my system.  I'm also sure my body was saying "what the hell just happened!"  From that day,  I went to class everyday for the next month, sometimes twice a day if I had the time or missed a day.  Its hot yoga but not 100+degrees, the room is kept at about 85-90degrees, so its tolerable.  Another plus to Honest Yoga is that their studio is CLEAN! and I mean clean, like not smelly like a locker room!   Overall, I felt good knowing that I had found a studio I liked AAAND Danielle was trained by Dharma, so attending these classes can prepare me for Yoga Teacher training if I ever got around to doing it.
What I have learned in that month about yoga and asana is that it IS practice!  All these amazing yogis in these beautiful poses you see on instagram, they didnt just wake up one day and take a photo, that might be the result of YEARS of practice.  I really wanted to start a blog to let people know that YOGA IS PRACTICE! it is constant practice!  What I'm also learning is that Yoga is more than the pose.  Its mental, physical, emotional and therapeutic on all levels.   I'm realizing I'm not as reactive to peoples' actions or words and am finding a deeper peace within myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment