Thursday 21 January 2016


Continued from  : January 20th, 2016.

I decided to follow this guy up the stairs and it was two very long flights to the third floor, straight up.  I entered the studio and immediately felt a sense of "home" or "this is it!" so to speak.
It was exactly what I was envisioning what a yoga studio should feel like, look like and be.   I went in, picked up a flyer, and signed up for the beginners course.   I began to attend regular classes there for a while, until life, work and scheduling became harder to fit yoga classes in.   I purchased their DVD and tried to have a home practice for the times I couldn't make it into class.  My home practice varied from a daily practice to just actually lying in Savasana and listening to the DVD.  Like I said, I've had a love affair with my yoga practice over the years, some weeks I practiced everyday and not again for months.

Where is all this leading to? well, after moving to Vermont in 2009, I really didn't want to start that search for a yoga studio again, because I felt like I really found yoga at Dharma Yoga.  When you find something that's "just right" its often hard to find something that can compare to that.
I did try a few studios here in VT, and found I was in the same predicament again, like my first search in NYC.   So, I began my practice at home again using the DVD's and found that I really really needed a teacher to advance further and to make sure my alignment is right.  Nothing can replace a good Yoga Teacher!

I began looking into studying at Dharma Yoga and part of the prerequisite for their 200hr YTT is that you attend 50hrs of classes by someone who was taught by Dharma or use the DVD's.  I just knew, if I just used the DVD's, I'd be less prepared for an intensive training.   I searched and found only one person here, who ended up moving to San Fransisco, so I put Yoga on the back shelf for a while because travelling back and forth to NYC to attend classes was just not an option.

After a while, Yoga kept calling me.  Anytime I felt tired, sore, achy, in pain, I kept hearing "Do YOGA!" in my head.  So, I began to look into Dharma Yoga teachers near me and finally found someone at Honest Yoga.   Its now September, 2015 and as I described in the beginning, I was in pain from a job that I LOVE.   Faced with the fear of "what now?" after years of doing Massage I was freaking out about what I would be able to do in years to come.  What if I cant do massage anymore? what's next? what kind of job can I have that still offers me the same schedule and flexibility, ability to help others, see them grow and help alleviate pain.   Naturally, Yoga was an option.

I went into Honest Yoga for my first class in September of 2015.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment